Thursday, January 5, 2012

Update: Salsa – Spanish Language Program for Children

Back in June 2008 I wrote a post about Salsa, an elementary Spanish language and cultural series from Georgia Public Broadcasting. During the last few years I remember checking the link at various times and noticed that either the videos weren’t available or they were only viewable on a small screen.

Just today I saw on the Freely Educate blog that there was a post about the program, so I had to take another look. I’m happy to report that the videos (42 episodes) are of a much better quality with transcripts (English & Spanish) and activity ideas (on each episode page). Also, there are now games for your children/students to play to reinforce what they have learned.

Additional support materials can be found on the Wyoming Department of Education website.  As mentioned in the blog, the videos are geared towards kindergarten through 2nd grade.

salsa

3 comments:

cokers4life said...

I have been using this program with my 3 and 2 year old. They love it! The resources that go with it are fantastic! The segments have repetitive themes through out each episode and they build upon each other. I am able to take the repetitive concepts and apply to our play time. They are counting easily to ten. They know their colors. They answer me correctly when I ask them basic questions like "Que color es este?" I am learning to speak Spanish to keep ahead of them, but I know we all need to be in a Spanish playgroup. I just don't know where to look?

Brent and Julia Crenshaw said...

Love, love, love these videos! The resources from Wyoming Department of Education are great! Using these w/ my kiddos, 10, 10, 8, 6, 3. The kids pick up new words each time we watch the videos. WDPE recommends spending 2 weeks on each episode, lots of activities in that time. We can do an episode in a week.

Elaine said...

I just found out about this recently myself. Super excited about it.

Elaine at
Teaching Español